When trying to verify or save the e-mail communication settings for the Calendar E-Mail Extension, you may come across the following error: “Error in the application.”
This error can have several causes, as described in this TechNet blog post. However, the most common cause is because the application pool account used for the central admin does not have the necessary permissions in the active directory to create or delete objects. To assign full control to the application pool account, simply follow these steps:
1. In ‘Active Directory Users and Computers’, right click on the required Organization Unit and select “Delegate Control“.
2. Click Next and then click Add.
2. Enter the account name that is used as the application pool account for the Central Admin site and then select OK.
3. Select Next, then select the “Create a custom task to delegate” radio button and click on Next.
4. Select the “This folder, existing objects in this folder, and creation of new objects in this folder” radio button if required and click on Next.
5. In the Permissions section, select the following permissions:
“Create all Child Objects” and “Delete all Child Objects”
6. Click on Next and then Finish.
Following the above instructions should allow you to enable e-mail on a list, but will not allow you to disable it. To overcome this problem you will need to add one additional right to the admin account.
Now let us see how to set the security options for the Organization Unit:
1. In Active Directory Users and Computers, select the View menu and select “Advanced Features” if it is not selected.
2. Right click on the required Organization Unit and select Properties.
3. Select the Security tab and then click on the Advanced button.
4. In the Permission Entries section, double-click on the application pool account which you delegated rights to above.
5. Select the “Delete Subtree” option that is listed under Permissions.
6. Click OK twice and then restart Internet Information Services (IIS) on the SharePoint box.
I hope you found this information useful. If you have any problems or any other questions, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or post a comment.