Read this post to ensure you won’t run into problems when creating a new Employee Training Management site. It applies to the SharePoint Employee Training Management Site Template 2.1 and earlier.
It is important to understand that the SharePoint Employee Training Management Site Template was originally designed as an administrator Template, designed to be applied on creation of a new site collection. Later we decided to make the feature available also on site (web) level and also to make the template available for creation of sub sites. This works great, as long as you decide to inherit permissions from the parent of the site, which is the default.
Problems arise when you choose to use unique permissions for the training management site. When you create the site, first the template is applied, the lists are created and unique permissions for some lists are assigned to the sites associated Owner, Member and Visitor groups. When you create the new site with unique permissions, these associated groups will not exist at that time, so you’ll have to configure these groups first. That’s why the provisioning process terminates without assigning contribute permissions for the Visitors group on the Enrollments and Feedback list. Contribute permissions for Visitors on these two lists are vital. Visitors will not be able to enroll (register) or provide feedback without this.
Go to Site Settings/Site Features and deactivate the “Sapiens Employee Training” feature. Then activate it again. The feature will set the required permissions on both lists.
The SharePoint Employee Training Management Site Template uses the site’s associated Owners, Members and Visitors groups to control visibility of courses (trainings). The dedicated usage of the groups is as follows:
– Site Owners group: Super users with full control
– Site Members group: Usually the members of your HR-Team, they do all the work and organize courses. They can also enroll to fully booked courses and much more.
– Site Visitors group: Usually all “Authenticated Users”, they visit the site and receive training.
When you create a course(training), unique permissions will be set on the item depending on its status and audience:
– Draft: Owners Full Control, Members Contribute
– Active: Owners Full Control, Members Contribute, Visitors Read
– Active with audience: Owners Full Control, Members Contribute, Audience Read